Buying and Saving

If you apply some of the techniques I use here to your own life, when buying the things you need and want, you will save money, as I have, maybe in the hundreds or thousands!
Come back to this blog frequently, as I intend to add new things when I can, and if you want, please send your own techniques in as comments, and if I like them, I will publish them and give the sender credit on this blog. I would also like to know if any of the tips you received here saved you money, or made your life easier.



Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Complaints can be good!

I just have a little time to add a new way to save money. Complain when you don't get what you want.

We went to the local Olive Garden Restaurant the other night, and we ordered two dinners with one of those $4-off coupons. My wife ordered the five-cheese ziti, and I ordered a chicken dish. My wife first ordered the five-cheese ziti a few months ago and it was "wonderful." The 2nd time she ordered it, it wasn't wonderful, and did not seem the same. This last time she ordered it, she told the waitress the story when she ordered it, asking for it to be made with sort of a crunchy top or crisp top. Well, they burnt the top, instead. The waitress brought our meals, and checked back with us several times to see if the meals were satisfactory. Mine was OK, but my wife was unhappy with hers and told the waitress. And when I asked the waitress for a box to take my left-overs home, my wife refused one for herself, as she didn't like the meal enough to want to take it home. My spouse wanted to return to shopping and left early, leaving me to pay for the meals. When the waitress brought the check, it was only for around $8.00! The waitress said that she had gone to management, and that my wife's meal was comped, as she was unhappy with it, and we had gotten to use the $4 coupon to boot. Needless to say, I gave the waitress extra on her tip for taking our cue and acting on it without us asking her to.

Several years ago, I went with my family to dinner in LA at the Red Lobster. Due to kitchen mixups, we got our dinners very late (we were seated for almost 45 minutes before getting our meals). We complained. The manager came over and apologized, and comped all of our meals, and told us to have dessert on them.

The moral to the story is that if you have a legitimate complaint at most large chain restaurants, the last thing they want to do is antagonize you into never coming back. Complain if you don't like the meal or the service. You may get your cake, and eat it, too. Even if it does arrive late. And by all means complain if your meal is not to your liking. My advice is to tell them when there is still a lot on your plate. Don't try to finish it. Most good restaurants will replace the meal for you with another, or give you a discount.

1 Comments:

  • Good point here about complaining. To add to that, I've had terrible food and service a couple of times and when I've complained, have received a shrug and "No one else has a problem." Those times, I've also complained to head office and received no response. So don't expect to see me at Don Pablos anymore.

    A friend is a restuarant manager and would much rather know when you are unhappy about something so he can fix it and you leave happy, than you say nothing but complain to everyone you know afterwards.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home