Buying and Saving

If you apply some of the techniques I use here to your own life, when buying the things you need and want, you will save money, as I have, maybe in the hundreds or thousands!
Come back to this blog frequently, as I intend to add new things when I can, and if you want, please send your own techniques in as comments, and if I like them, I will publish them and give the sender credit on this blog. I would also like to know if any of the tips you received here saved you money, or made your life easier.



Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The Question of Rebates

Did you ever buy something because it had a rebate? I assume many people do. It actually looks like a discount. Do you ever ask yourself why a company would offer a rebate, and just not discount the merchandise? I would guess that is because it is a promise to return money to a customer, as long as the customer will jump through certain hoops. I feel the idea behind it is that most buyers will find it too hard to request their rebate, and will procrastinate away their chance to get it. It works almost as well as a discount, with a lot less impact to the bottom line. Of course, the company has to have a department to deal with the rebate fulfillment, and that costs capital. It also gives the company information on the individual who purchased the item, something they get first-hand from the customer himself/herself. They also sell this information.

I do take them up on rebates. I calendar when I have to respond, and send in all the things they ask for. The good news is that some of the companies are now doing rebates on-line. In this case, you do not have to send in the UPC Bar Code, but sometimes the actual number that is part of the code.

In the last year, I bought several Nikon items from buydig.com. A camera body ($100 rebate), a lens ($100 rebate), and a dedicated flash ($25 rebate). All had rebates to send in by mail. I sent in all the rebate offers. I made copies of everything I sent on my scanner. I received two rebate checks, but not the one for the flash. I contacted buydig.com and they put me in contact with a woman with Nikon. I explained to her that I had already sent in the UPC codes from the box, and that I no longer possessed them. She said they never received them. We went back and forth over the phone, and by email. At one point, I sent her jpegs from the scans of the paperwork, plus the scan of the bar code. I finally received my $25.00 rebate check, and was finally happy.

Yeah, rebates are a pain in the butt. But, by not procrastinating, by sticking to my guns, I got back rebates totalling $225.00 (in this instance). It can add up over a year's time. If you buy something, and you reason to buy it because it looks like it is inexpensive due to a rebate, send that rebate in. Don't tarry. Remember, it is your money they are holding. Don't let 'em keep it. They are counting on your laziness.

1 Comments:

  • You know what I dislike? Rebates don't cover the taxes paid on the original amount. Not fun at all.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home