Buying and Saving

If you apply some of the techniques I use here to your own life, when buying the things you need and want, you will save money, as I have, maybe in the hundreds or thousands!
Come back to this blog frequently, as I intend to add new things when I can, and if you want, please send your own techniques in as comments, and if I like them, I will publish them and give the sender credit on this blog. I would also like to know if any of the tips you received here saved you money, or made your life easier.



Tuesday, August 22, 2006

It Doesn't Always Work!

I wanted to buy a 1-gigabyte SanDisk Secure Digital Card for our new Canon A620 camera. Almost everybody and their brother sells this particular card. Sears, Office Depot, Office Max, Staples, etc., all sell the SDSD1024A10 flash memory card. Prices are also all over the board. Office Max sells it for $49.98. Office Depot for $29.99. Staples for $24.98 after $16.00 in-store discount and $15.00 mail-in rebate. I found a place online called dz-tech storefront on pricegrabber.com that was selling it for $14.45! But they charge $9.45 shipping and insurance to deliver it, bringing the total to $23.90. All the other stores, being local, charge 8.4% sales tax on the out-the-door price. No tax on the out of state online storefront.

I called Sears to see if they would match the price of the online store. They would not. They will only compete with other bricks-and-mortar stores. Then I remembered that the camera I recently purchased was being sold online by a bricks-and-mortar store called Norman Camera. That's possibly why there was no argument. I could have called some more places, and they may have told me that they would honor that price, but I felt they probably would not, once I got there. I ordered it from dz-tech and we'll see if that was the best way to go. Their price was much better than the other outfits, when you factored in the sales tax. And I didn't have to burn $3.00 per gallon gas to get it. I'll be getting it by first-class mail.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home