Buying and Saving

If you apply some of the techniques I use here to your own life, when buying the things you need and want, you will save money, as I have, maybe in the hundreds or thousands!
Come back to this blog frequently, as I intend to add new things when I can, and if you want, please send your own techniques in as comments, and if I like them, I will publish them and give the sender credit on this blog. I would also like to know if any of the tips you received here saved you money, or made your life easier.



Thursday, September 14, 2006

It Doesn't Always Work, Part II

A short time back - August 22 of this year to be exact, I posted in this blog that I would be buying a SanDisk 1-gb secure digital card for our Canon A620 camera from an outfit called dz-tech, and that it would be coming by mail. Well, I waited, and waited. It failed to show up. I wrote to dz-tech through pricegrabbers.com, and wondered where it was. It was supposed to arrive by 1st class mail, and usually took 5 days (or less). It was now 4 days overdue. It was, however, insured. I paid enough for the shipping, handling, and mandatory insurance. I didn't mind paying over $9.00 for shipping, since, coupled with the price, it was only $23.90 for the whole thing, cheaper than I could buy the memory card anywhere else. The only caveat here is if I don't receive it at all.

I didn't hear from dz-tech the first time I wrote, so I emailed them again, only this time, I said that I would like them to send out another unit, at no charge, as the original was insured, and would obviously eventually be paid for by the USPS. I also said that if I didn't receive one soon, I would have to cancel payment through PayPal. The next day I got a phone call from dz-tech. They said they would send out another unit, and I guaranteed them that if both of the memory cards finally showed up, I would mail back the second one I received. Well, the one they sent out 2nd, showed up first, and the one they sent out first arrived a few days later. I knew they told the truth, because the postmark verified they had.

I decided to keep both cards, and contacted them and asked if they would accept a PayPal payment for another $23.90 for the second card, rather than mail it back to them. I reasoned that I would have to package the card in another envelope, drive it to the post office, insure it, and mail it back. Then I would have to hope that it arrived or I would be on the other end of the stick. Besides, it is a great price on this card, and two of my pro cameras can utilize this type of card, as well as compact flash cards. It was a win-win deal: they were happy to oblige. They were honest. I was honest. And we both got what we wanted. I was happy to leave positive feedback for them on pricegrabber.com.

Moral: Don't be afraid to contact a company if you think things aren't working, and use credit cards, or PayPal to make payments. These are your leverage to get what you want. They are not payment - they are a promise to allow payment. You'd be surprised what you can do with that leverage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home