Buying and Saving

If you apply some of the techniques I use here to your own life, when buying the things you need and want, you will save money, as I have, maybe in the hundreds or thousands!
Come back to this blog frequently, as I intend to add new things when I can, and if you want, please send your own techniques in as comments, and if I like them, I will publish them and give the sender credit on this blog. I would also like to know if any of the tips you received here saved you money, or made your life easier.



Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Television Tuner Story

The last post got me to remember how much leverage a credit card can give you.

Many years ago, I had a TV that had a mechanical tuner. For those of you who are too young to remember that, years ago TV sets had tuners that had moving parts. Mine had seemed to get so badly worn that the TV no longer worked.

I took the TV to a local repair facility about 2 blocks from where I lived and gave them instructions to check out the TV, and let me know how much it would cost to repair it. The man behind the counter quoted me $65.00 to check it out, and said that if I decided to repair the set, the $65.00 would count against the repair. "Fair enough," I told him. I also told him to go ahead with the repair if it was $150.00 or less. I told him that if it was to be more than $150.00, he should call for an OK, as I would probably buy a new TV. I then gave him a credit card to pay for the deposit.

He calls me back later in the afternoon, and tells me that the set needed a new tuner, that they were hard to get, and that (hooray) they were able to find one. And, "Oh, by the way, we already installed the tuner, and the bill is $225.00, including the tax." I was incredulous. I knew the law in the state of California. It was pretty much the same as that governing auto repair, and I was a mechanic. You cannot make a repair costing more than the estimate, without first calling the customer, and getting authorization. He said that was tough, and I should come and pick up my set. I countered with, "Well, I don't have to pay for it, according to state law. I gave you a deposit with a credit card, so I will request that the credit card company stop payment, and, by the way, keep the set as a rather large paperweight to remind you not to do this again. I am going out to buy a new TV." He says to me that the joke is on me, they have already put the credit card payment through. I told him he obviously doesn't know how credit cards work. The credit card company will charge it back to him, and refund the money to me. It doesn't matter that they may have even received the money for the transaction, the credit card company will take it out of a future transaction.

He hung up. He called back about 20 minutes later. He said the boss told him to bill me $150.00 for the repair, and that I could pick up my set. He said he wanted cash for the full amount, and he would refund all the credit card charges. I told him I would accept that, as long as I got the standard warranty, in writing, from them. I went and got my set. It lasted for several more years. I guess they did a good repair, even though they tried to screw me financially.

Moral: Credit cards give you a power that can't be matched by checks or cash. The only ways to get cash or a check back from a merchant who doesn't want to give it back, is violence (not recommended) or to use the legal system. Good luck with that - it can take years before getting into court. Credit cards put the credit card companies in the position of arbitrator, and I hear they side with the customer most of the time. If a merchant won't take your credit card, (or something like PayPal), maybe you should go to another merchant who will. Credit cards and PayPal enforce guarantees, and give the customer lots of power.

3 Comments:

  • Yes, thanks! Good post. Good to know.

    By Blogger Chandira, at 11:12 AM  

  • That is partially why so many people feel better about buying and selling on the internet. They know that the credit card company usually stands behind them.

    It is a great reminder for me, and I will remember to use a credit card when in doubt of the merchant's integrity.

    By Blogger Terry Pearson, at 9:09 PM  

  • interesting to hear an argument in favor of credit cards!

    By Blogger Julia, at 10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home