Buying and Saving

If you apply some of the techniques I use here to your own life, when buying the things you need and want, you will save money, as I have, maybe in the hundreds or thousands!
Come back to this blog frequently, as I intend to add new things when I can, and if you want, please send your own techniques in as comments, and if I like them, I will publish them and give the sender credit on this blog. I would also like to know if any of the tips you received here saved you money, or made your life easier.



Sunday, September 10, 2006

Ah, Guilt

Make 'em feel guilty. Make 'em feel like they owe ya somethin'.

About 6 months ago, I took our leased EC (European Cruiser) into the dealer for an oil change (service). A normal oil change on our car cost something like $27.00. The service writer showed me a factory bulletin that stated that our model car had a problem with sludging oil (including engine destruction), and to make it harder for that to happen, synthetic oil should be used instead of regular oil. This upped the cost substantially to over $60.00. On the one hand, I didn't want to pay this increase, as this is a leased car, and I intend to hand over the keys once the lease is up. On the other hand, if the engine did sludge up, they might try to deny warranty to repair this. Coupled with the fact that we would be without the car for a while, I finally gave in, and let them change the oil with the synthetic kind.

About 3,000 miles later, we had to take the car back in for another oil change. I got a new service writer, one who I had not seen there before. He gave me an estimate for the oil change of about $27.00. I didn't let on that it was supposed to get the more expensive oil. I went back later in the day, and he apologized to me. He said the car needed the more expensive oil for the oil change, so he took it upon himself to have the more expensive oil used. Now, I know the law in this matter. He had my phone number, and he never called to get my OK. In my state, I don't have to pay more than 10% over the written estimate, unless he calls me to get a verbal OK, and I give it to him. I didn't want to screw him and have him lose his job, but I thought I'd see where it went, so I informed him I didn't have to pay for the increase. He said to me, "Listen, if you pay for it now, I will give you a free oil change next time, with the synthetic oil." This was too good to pass up. I agreed. He gave me one of his business cards and put on the back, "This entitles the holder of this card to one free oil & filter change, using synthetic oil." He then signed it.

I went back last time for an oil change. I asked if that service writer was around. He was no longer with the company, I was informed. I said, "Too bad, I have this card he gave me last time." I presented the card to the present service writer. He accepted it, and put "No Charge" on my work order.

I feel that the service writer possibly knew he would not be there when I returned, so he gave me his card, not knowing that I would indeed receive a free oil change. He didn't care. He wasn't giving away his money. He was covering his butt. I, on the other hand, had nothing to do with his leaving (as no one at the time knew that he was cutting me a deal for the next time), and I benefitted from his mistake.

Moral: Knowing when to keep your mouth shut can sometimes benefit you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home