Buying and Saving

If you apply some of the techniques I use here to your own life, when buying the things you need and want, you will save money, as I have, maybe in the hundreds or thousands!
Come back to this blog frequently, as I intend to add new things when I can, and if you want, please send your own techniques in as comments, and if I like them, I will publish them and give the sender credit on this blog. I would also like to know if any of the tips you received here saved you money, or made your life easier.



Saturday, August 26, 2006

Two Areas To Save Big - Stop With The Ringtones and Movies

I know I am going to incur the wrath of many viewers when I introduce two practical ideas for saving a buck: Stop with the ringtones for one, and stop buying movies.

For what real pragmatic reason does someone have to have a special ringtone? The young will give their rationale for purchasing, and sometimes renting special ring-tones. They will pay more for a part of a song than a whole song. Think ahead 5 years, look at what you are spending on this, and see if it will make a whole bunch of sense to purchase a jingle at $2.50, or worse, rent it for a limited time. Are you trying to impress your friends? They already know who and what you are. Are you trying to impress strangers? Will it matter 10 minutes after they are out of sight? So, a ringtone will alert you if a certain friend is calling, but so will the caller ID on the phone. It isn't cool if you have to pay for it. It isn't even bright.

The second idea to save is not to buy mainstream movies. Movies are archived everywhere. How many times are you going to watch any movie? I know people with extensive collections of movies on DVDs. Even if they got a buy at $10.00, you can rent that movie a lot of times for $2.00 each time. Unless you have to watch the Wizard of Oz every time you feel blue, why the hell do you need to own it? If you own a collection, you are always adding to it, and don't have time to watch any movie over again, anyway. If I want to see a movie over again, I can rent it. Blockbuster and Netflix offer deals all the time, anyway. I got a free month of all the movies I can watch in a month from Blockbuster recently. I will cancel before the month is out. I will bet that Blockbuster will offer me the same deal again in the near future. While you spend $50 buying movies you may never get around to watching again, I saved enough to go to the Red Lobster for dinner and I saw just as many movies as you did.

Here's another thought. If you haven't noticed, it is hard to buy a new stand-alone VHS tape deck at this time. The VHS technology is being phased out. How do you know DVDs won't be replaced in 10 years with something better, and you won't be able to buy a replacement player to see all your movies? You say you can copy all your stuff to new media? Well, do you have time for that, now? I doubt it will be something you will do in the future, with many more movies to copy. Thousands of DVDs will be left for the ages, monuments to your need to own them, and the movie industry's need to make money.

Add up what you spend for this stuff, and see if it is all really worth it to you. As Garfield, the cartoon cat, once remarked, "It's amazing what people would really rather have than money."

1 Comments:

  • I think you pointed out the true worthlessness of ringtones. They are just a huge waste of money, but people continue to purchase them at high rates only to become disinterested within days. Diddo on the dvd's too. The HD DVD will soon hit anyways.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home