Buying and Saving

If you apply some of the techniques I use here to your own life, when buying the things you need and want, you will save money, as I have, maybe in the hundreds or thousands!
Come back to this blog frequently, as I intend to add new things when I can, and if you want, please send your own techniques in as comments, and if I like them, I will publish them and give the sender credit on this blog. I would also like to know if any of the tips you received here saved you money, or made your life easier.



Sunday, December 03, 2006

Two Clerks Saved Me Money Today!

I needed some office supplies today. I needed some inkjet cartridges and some DVD +Rs. I went to one big chain office supply, and saw DVD +Rs there, 20 for 19.99. I was going to another big chain office supply store in the area, as well, because they had sent me some of those discount cards: $10.00 off if you buy $50.00 worth, etc. I actually had 3 of them that had not expired. Two had the same expiration date, 12/16/06, and one had a date in January, 2007. Anyway, something told me not to buy the DVD +Rs at the first store. I went to the second store, and asked one clerk where the DVD media was. He walked me over there and we both looked at the shelf. I spied a large spindle package of DVD +Rs made by Magnavox that was on sale for half-price - 100 disks for $24.99. This meant that they were around 25 cents each. Now, I go through a lot of DVDs in my business. They don't spoil, so buying a quantity is not a problem, but on the other hand, I make a lot of drink coasters out of them due to media failures. Quality is even more important than price. I asked the clerk if they were any good. He said he hasn't seen anybody bring them back. That is good enough for me to give them a try. This chain will take them back if they have a high failure rate. Let's see, I would have to spend around $100.00 to buy 100 disks at the other store, 20 at a time, and I spent around $25.00 to get the same amount. I saved $75.00 just on that tip. Here is the rest:

I went up to the counter to pay the cashier for my $78.00 worth of inkjet cartridges, and the $25.00 for the disks. I had the $10.00 discount cards, and was looking at them to see if it was more advantageous to use one instead of another. The clerk asked me if I would like to use two of them. I said that I thought you could only use one. She said she would split my order, and asked if I would mind paying separately for each. Of course, I was happy to do that. I couldn't believe it. She offered! I did them both on the same credit card, needing to sign for each. I saved close to 20%. I still have the last card which expires in January, but that is for a $10.00 discount, if I spend $20.00 or more. I will be back before it expires. The moral to the story is that I won't be afraid to ask if I can split the order, and won't assume that I can't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home