Buying and Saving

If you apply some of the techniques I use here to your own life, when buying the things you need and want, you will save money, as I have, maybe in the hundreds or thousands!
Come back to this blog frequently, as I intend to add new things when I can, and if you want, please send your own techniques in as comments, and if I like them, I will publish them and give the sender credit on this blog. I would also like to know if any of the tips you received here saved you money, or made your life easier.



Sunday, January 06, 2008

Text messaging or how to let your cell phone company take a lot of your money.

Want to save some bucks? If you do, why the *.!#@ do you still have text messaging working on your phone? Do we really need text messaging?

A while back, I started getting what amounted to spam on my Verizon phone. It was from people I don't know. Some was in Spanish - I only speak English. I thought if I don't open it and just erase it, there was no charge. I was wrong! It started to show up on my bill. I was billed $1.15 for text messaging, even though I sent no messages, and didn't even read any messages. I called Verizon. They said they would remove the charges if I wanted to block text messaging and sending pictures. I told them that not only would I do that, but so would my wife. Why do I (or most people) really need text messaging? Especially if I have to pay for the spam I get? I got a cell phone to make voice calls. To call a client and tell him I am lost and can't find the coffee shop where I was supposed to meet him. To call my wife if I am late, and don't want her to worry about me. I don't need the damn thing to be my entertainment system!

If I want to send an email, I have a computer. Email is free, it comes with my Internet Access. At least I don't have to pay for the spam I get. If I want to send an image, I can send a proper, large-sized image over my computer. Do my friends really need to see that strange car right after I do? I can take the image with my phone, and then take it home. My friends can wait until I get home and use my computer. I can send the picture for free on my computer. Wise up everybody. We aren't all twelve years old anymore. I wouldn't text my stock broker and say BY SBUX @ 18! I would call and say, "Buy Starbucks at $18.00." At least I know who is getting the call, and they know who is calling them with our voices. Or I can go to my broker's website and do it online. Typing with my thumbs is not productive for me.

Figure out how much texting is costing you, and extrapolate what it will cost you in the long run. It is more expensive than you think. Get rid of it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home